ws-sandesha-dev mailing list archives

From "Jaliya Ekanayake" <jnekanay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WS Commons Policy
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:28:13 GMT
Hi All,

Please see my comments below.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sanka Samaranayake" <ssanka@gmail.com>
To: "Benjamin Schmeling" <Benjamin_Schmeling@gmx.de>
Cc: "Jaliya Ekanayake" <jaliya@apache.org>; <sandesha-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: WS Commons Policy

Hi Benjamin,

On 1/23/06, Benjamin Schmeling <Benjamin_Schmeling@gmx.de> wrote:
> Okay, but I could use the Ws Commons Policy implementation to intersect
> the policies of the server and the client (Assuming I know how to
> retrieve them). I tried it out with examples of RM-Policy, but the
> results of the intersection is not as I expected:
>
> Policy A is:
>
> <wsp:Policy xmlns:tns="example.com"
>             xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
>             xmlns:wsp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy"
>
> xmlns:wsrm="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/02/rm/policy"
> xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd"
>             wsu:Id="MyPolicy">
>     <wsrm:RMAssertion>
>         <wsrm:InactivityTimeout Milliseconds="240000"/>
>         <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="3000"/>
>         <wsrm:ExponentialBackoff/>
>         <wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval Milliseconds="200"/>
>     </wsrm:RMAssertion>
>      <!-- omitted assertions -->
> </wsp:Policy>
>
> Policy B is:
>
> <wsp:Policy xmlns:tns="example.com"
>             xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
>             xmlns:wsp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy"
>
> xmlns:wsrm="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/02/rm/policy"
> xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd"
>             wsu:Id="MyPolicy">
>     <wsrm:RMAssertion>
>         <wsrm:InactivityTimeout Milliseconds="1000"/>
>         <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="3000"/>
>         <wsrm:ExponentialBackoff/>
>         <wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval Milliseconds="200"/>
>     </wsrm:RMAssertion>
>      <!-- omitted assertions -->
> </wsp:Policy>
>
> The intersection is:
>
> <wsp:Policy xmlns:wsp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy"
> wsu:Id="MyPolicy">
>     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
>         <wsp:All>
>             <wsrm:RMAssertion
> xmlns:wsrm="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/02/rm/policy">
>                 <wsrm:InactivityTimeout Milliseconds="100" />
>                 <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="3000" />
>                 <wsrm:ExponentialBackoff /><wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval
> Milliseconds="200" />
>             </wsrm:RMAssertion>
>             <wsrm:RMAssertion
> xmlns:wsrm="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/02/rm/policy">
>                 <wsrm:InactivityTimeout Milliseconds="240000" />
>                 <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="3000" />
>                 <wsrm:ExponentialBackoff />
>                 <wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval Milliseconds="200" />
>             </wsrm:RMAssertion>
>         </wsp:All>
>     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> </wsp:Policy>
>
> I expected, that there is no common agreement between client and server,
> because of the different InactivityTimeout. Is that because of the
> general definition of WS-Policy ?

yes, thats the exact definition of policy intersect according
WS-Policy specification. The result you got is correct according to
the sepc.

> Do we need another implementation for
> the concrete domain specific policy assertions (e.g. RMPolicy)?

Rather you need a domain specific policy processor (say
RMPolicyProcessor) to evaluate those two RMAssertions and to throw a
fault saying that there is a policy violation or policy
incompatibility .

Since Sandesha1 does not interchange policy the results that Benjamin got
was correct. In this case there are no agreement between the server and the
client for Policies. We should get this model implemented to get everything
working properly as expected by the Web services specifications. The effort
of integrating policy to the engine itself is underway for Axis2 and hence
in Sandesha2.

Thanks,

Jaliya

Sanka