ws-kandula-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split packages issue (AXIS2-4311)
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 12:55:12 GMT
On 5/27/2010 8:29 AM, Martin Gainty wrote:
> devs: to accomodate a delta on a specific style a point release makes
> far more sense e.g. Axis2.1.5.1.1
>
> when a new base library (Axiom) becomes available a new 'full release'
> (with all the patches and previous point releases) is more than
> justified..(provided TC's are factored in!)
> e.g. Axis2-1.6
>
> Re:split packages: maven shaded-plugin can handle most 'split
> package' issues or is there another *unknown* interaction at play?
>
> McGuire:
> what gating issues are you seeing with current build of Axis

Geronimo 3.0 is restructuring to be an OSGi-based kernel.  This means
all of the jars that make up the core server runtime need to be OSGi
bundles.  The Axis2 jars include OSGi imports/exports, but because of
the split package issue, they cannot be used together in the same
runtime, which makes the OSGi information essentially useless.  The only
fix we have is to repackage all of the axis2 jars into a single uber
bundle to sidestep the problem.

The Geronimo build structure is such that any jars that we repackage as
bundles get released as separate packages.  This means every time we
need to update the axis2 version, we first have to spin a new version of
the Geronimo repackaged bundle, have a vote on that release, then update
Geronimo itself to pick up the new version and have a second vote.  This
is doable, but fixing the problem at the source makes life a lot easier
for us.  We have many dependencies we have to worry about, so
eliminating as many special considerations as possible helps streamline
the entire release process.

Rick

> ?
> Martin Gainty

> Empfaenger sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede
> unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig.
> Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen und
> entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten
> Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den
> Inhalt uebernehmen.
>
> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.