ws-kandula-dev mailing list archives

From Sagara Gunathunga <sagara.gunathu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2-Spring integration
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:27:15 GMT
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Amila Suriarachchi <
amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> One last message with java-user in copy: I've created a page on our
>> brand new Wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/axis/Axis2Spring
>>
>> Please feel free to edit and add your ideas.
>>

> Thanks Andreas for creating the wiki an initiating the this work.
>
> Let me put my view and suggestion first before directly editing the wiki.
>
> Here the term Axi2 is embeded inside the spring can be elaborated as Axis2
> users spring beans initialised by the spring framework rather than
> initialising itself. In otherwords it acks as another plugin[1] to spring
> container.
>
>  Why this is important? Indikas' question gives the answer. Spring beans
> have all the features available with the spring container and additionally
> webservice support.

 My question is why this is not important ?  Let me explain,  We have very
broad community one requirement can be very important to some one  while it
is not much important to some one else . I 'm highly involve with Spring
based development for last 3 years and this is a very important feature to
me, and I believe I'm not the only one with this requirement , Some people
move into different WS-stacks because lack of this feature. As you may know
one of the longstanding criticism about Axis2 it it's lack of Spring
support  [1] [2] [3] . As for now Axis2 is very matured project and there is
no large scale development happening, so if people are willing to implement
this feature it going to be a value added feature for Axis2 and get rid of
criticism about Axis2 Spring support .
Some of the framework developers facilitate to utilize their framework
features within the Spring context one of the good example out of the WS
stack is Castor/Spring integration [6], [7] that targeting spring
developers.

 Some frameworks are designed to be configured and work within the Spring
context through the bean definition file Apache Camel [8] and CXF [9] are
some of the examples. Some frameworks use a native approach to configure
and  assemble internal components , further some frameworks provide both of
these options as an example SCA spec defined as Java component
implementation[10] and Spring component implementation[11]. Axis2 use native
approach  but alternative spring based approach also a good addition to the
project.

I don't think Spring-WS is a replacement for Axis2 or CXF  [4] ,[5] if you
can spend some time with Spring-WS you will realize it.

> We can do this by using existing axis2-spring support by using
> org.apache.axis2.extensions.spring.receiversSpringServletContextObjectSupplier
> but the configuration is done by using same axis2 xml files.

 This what provide by the current axis2-spring module and this is a
different use case I don't have a problem about the usability of this use
case.

> The proposed project let users to do that as spring configuration files as
> well. But still transports, modules and all manged by Axis2 runtime.
>
> So I suggest first paragraph should some thing like this.
>
> The goal is to provide Spring integration for Axis2 in scenarios where
> Axis2 is embedded inside Spring (i.e. where the Axis2 runtime uses the
> spring beans initialized by the Spring container) while keeping the
> configuration also witin the spring beans. This is different from the
> scenario supported by the existing axis2-spring module, which addresses the
> scenario of implementing a service using Spring, while all the
> configurations are done using axis2 xml files and initialize the spring
> beans by itself.

 +1 , this make it much clear.

  [1] - http://www.coderanch.com/t/224490/Web-Services/java/Axis-Vs-CXF
  [2] - http://www.predic8.com/axis2-cxf-jax-ws-comparison.htm