ws-kandula-dev mailing list archives

From Dasarath Weeratunge <dweer...@purdue.edu>
Subject RE: Issues while compiling src code
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:24:52 GMT
Quoting Anshuk <Anshuk.PalChaudhuri@cognizant.com>:

Interfacing JTA with WS-AT is completely different from
looking at web services interoperability between different implementations
like Kandula, WAS, MSFT etc. I'm not sure which one you are after at this point.

If you want to expose some XAResource deployed inside WAS using Kandula,
then you need to interface Kandula with the native JTA implementation in WAS.
What Kandula does is it creates a JTA transaction whenever it sees a new
coordination context and attaches it to the thread that would execute
the web service. From there on, the native JTA implementation takes care
of the rest. In the absence of such a native JTA implementation we have provided
a toy JTA implementation that could be used but this is mainly for testing.
When the WS-AT protocol attempts to terminate the activity, Kandula will
use its private interface with the native JTA implementation to terminate
the JTA transaction that was created earlier. Here Kandula uses the two-phase
commit protocol.

However, the JTA API is not sufficient to completely handle the two phase
commit protocol that is used to terminate a transaction. For example, if
you look at how Kandula has been interfaced with Geronimo, you would see
that we have used an API exposed by the Geronimo transaction manager which
is non-standard. In the case of WAS it is not possible to study their
internal API s to do the same. In short, it is not possible to do what we have
done with Geronimo with WAS.

You could however, try the following:
1) Use a Kandula client with WAS server.
2) WAS client with Kandula server (in Geronimo server or Tomcat + Geronimo
transaction manager)

Thanks,
-- dasarath