Sewwandi,
    I suspect that you cannot get it to work because attributes without a prefix are not in the default namespace: they have no namespace. [1]
  So the document in the new format would not validate against the original schema.
   You might have to fiddle with your own implementation of NamespaceContext to get what you want.

[1] http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/xml/schema/ch10_03.htm

Good luck!
Mike