ws-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 08:26:22 GMT
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> The BEST model to look at is the commons project at Apache.   They have a very
> diverse set of sub projects and have been very successful at being able to
> provide adequate oversight on all the projects.   How do they do it: they
> MANDATE that there are not separate dev lists for each project.

It is also the best example of a mailing list with an extremely bad
ratio between noise and content, at least for me.

> If the traffic about a particulare subproject grows enough to overwelm the
> rest of the projects, that's usually a sign that it's ready to spin out.
> Thus, if you don't like it, start participating with XML-RPC, submit patches,
> foster ideas, etc.... and help it grow to a point where it's ready to
> graduate.

XML-RPC is most likely not a project which will grow. It is in
maintenance mode and has been just that for a couple of years. It is
extremely unlikely that you have a chance to attract interest for the
ws project under its contributors / users, unless they move their
professional interest, which would be an event unrelated to either
projects.

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)