ws-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:00:52 GMT
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:29, Lars Schnoor <Lars.Schnoor@ifad.dk> wrote:
> It wasn't my intention to insult people, but my experience has shown that
> people are more likely to react to direct statements. So I apologize to
> those that felt insulted.
>
> My use of the word SPAM was meant with respect to the amount messages
> received and the fact that they are of no interest to me, just like SPAM is.
> I am and have been on a number of mailing lists but not one has managed to
> send 29 messages about commits in only ONE minute.

These message were caused by a single commit that updated the Axiom
site after the 1.2.10 release. This is standard procedure in ASF
projects that generate their sites using Maven. However, in most
cases, the number of updates is so high that the SVN notification is
suppressed. This happened for the 1.2.9 release [1]. One may indeed
wonder if it is reasonable to send full SVN commit notifications
consisting of 29 parts (it seems that the limit is 50 parts), but we
don't have control over that (at least I think). It should be noted
that this happens with a frequency that is of order of once per year.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/rhh56q4assnqqrcw