ws-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 00:11:38 GMT
On Wednesday 03 November 2010 6:15:21 pm Lars Schnoor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I originally signed up for the XML-RPC mailing list because that was the
> project that was and still is interesting to me. In the last couple of
> days however I have been bombarded with SPAM from all kinds of Apache
> projects that I am not interested in at all. At some point someone asked
> if it was a mistake to merge the Apache mailing lists and a couple of
> people replied that they actually  think that it indeed was a big
> mistake and that was it, no action whatsoever.
> So my question is very simple, is there some professional person that
> can see that it was a very bad idea to merge the mailing lists and is
> willing to undo this mistake, or do we people that don't what our
> mailboxes filled-up with unrelated SPAM, have to unsubscribe?
> And Lawrence, was there any point in your message asking if it was a
> mistake?

This was NOT a mistake, at least not for the dev lists.   ALL of the
developers (well, speicifically the PMC members) are tasked with the oversight
of the ENTIRE ws project, not a small subset or single project in it.   As
such, the developers need to be aware of everything that is going on in all of
the projects.

The BEST model to look at is the commons project at Apache.   They have a very
diverse set of sub projects and have been very successful at being able to
provide adequate oversight on all the projects.   How do they do it: they
MANDATE that there are not separate dev lists for each project.

If the traffic about a particulare subproject grows enough to overwelm the
rest of the projects, that's usually a sign that it's ready to spin out.
Thus, if you don't like it, start participating with XML-RPC, submit patches,
foster ideas, etc.... and help it grow to a point where it's ready to
graduate.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp