ws-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Disassemble the 'commons' notion
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:04:59 GMT
This isn't a chair-specific thing, no, and thanks for asking Benson!

I had started drafting up a message to the Attic folks, but just took a
closer look at http://attic.apache.org/process.html - the Attic seems highly
optimized for TLPs and not so much for subprojects.  Also, I hadn't realized
this but the Attic does not seem to have a separate SVN repository - rather,
it asks the projects to leave their content in-place (probably good for
limited support of old searches/links/etc) and make it read-only.  As such,
it may not actually be the best option for our subprojects.

Another option for us is to simply move the designated subprojects into our
own (read-only) archive, to sit alongside soap, pubscribe, etc....  We'd
still shut down the mailing lists (that's happening anyway), make the
appropriate JIRAs read-only, etc.

What do people think of that notion?  If we're +1 on that idea we can just do it.

Open question - should we leave at least top-level SVN dirs for the
subprojects that get archived, with a README?  We didn't do this for the
former ones, and it would make our SVN space less "clean", but it might be
nice for folks looking for the old stuff.  I guess I'd say no, it's easy
enough to find if we update the ws.apache.org page, but what do others think?

Thanks,
--Glen