ws-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:58:20 GMT
Jochen

Its not just about interop - its about a shared design and a shared community.

1) I believe that the Axis2/C team has worked very hard to share code,
designs and work closely with the rest of the team. I'm not sure that
the Java team has worked so closely, but I guess that is because they
tended to build the code ahead of the C team. However, I think you
need to take strong account of the views of the C team in this
process.

2) There is a benefit to keeping these together. While we have - on
the whole - had benefit of splitting Synapse out, it has also made
some aspects a little trickier (e.g. the transport discussions). Now,
Synapse has a different aim than Axis2, but I don't believe thats true
for Axis2/C and Axis2/Java.

3) There are some interesting things we can do *together* with Axis2/C
and Java. For example, Axis2/C is around 6 times faster at handling
WS-Security than Axis2/Java. We could do a JNI-based high-performance
WS-Security transport for Java using the C code. I don't want to make
these kinds of things harder.

4) Axis2 has a unique position in having a Java AND C library and the
same architecture. This is a serious advantage over other libraries.
We need to strengthen not  weaken this bond.

Paul

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe
> <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> -1. They share the same architecture. They do the same this, only the implementation
is different.
>> And they are supposed to work with each other, interop in other words, so they have
lot in common.

> Interoperability is not an argument. Axis is trying hard to be
> interoperable with others as well. About
> the architecture: Might be, but that doesn't mean, that it is a single
> community in practice.
>
> To convince me, you should give me *more* examples like the following,
> where work actually shared:
>

>> It is a fact that, you can interop being disjoint projects. However, we even
>> use the WSDL2Code tool to generate code. If Axis2/Java becomes a separate
>> TLP and can an Axis2/C comittor do changed to that tool?
>
> What's the problem? I can't see anyone from preventing an Axis2/C
> committer being a
> Axis2/Java committer as well, if he or she is interested in it? My
> expectation would be,
> though, that it is a minority only, who wants it.
>

> Jochen
>
> --
> I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
> telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
> how to use my telephone.
>
>    -- (Bjarne Stroustrup,
> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#really-say-that
>       My guess: Nokia E50)