ws-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:46:24 GMT
I'm -1 because the Axis2 project is not just axis2- its a collection of
enabling pieces (axiom, neethi at least) and a bunch of up stream
components (rampart, sandesha2, kandula2, wss4j etc.). So its really the
"web services" project with an entire ws-* framework being covered by
that. Calling the whole thing axis2 is not right as its not just about axis2.

I would like to clearly identify components within the ws project that are
retired or "finished". These include (from what I know) scout, wsif,
axis1, jaxme, kandula1, and sandesha1. However, as Nadra's message shows,
there are parts of the "axis1 family" still alive and kicking.

There are other projects that I think do not use axis1 or axis2 - for
example juddi & xmlrpc - that I think could go TLP on their own to reduce
the size of ws.

So I'm -1.

However, Glen, what was the motivation for originating that thread? Is
there something broken that needs to be fixed? IIRC Dims was always
against splitting when he was PMC chair and I'd like to hear the reason
for and against by both Glen and Dims too.

Sanjiva.

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/