ws-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:02:14 GMT
Hey dims, all:

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> There was a WS PMC thread which has not yet shown up here....
>
> So, WDYT? Could we spin off Axis2 and related projects into a separate
> TLP? Pros / Cons / Thoughts welcome.

I'm +1 to the idea.  Here's what I sent to the PMC after this idea came
up as a result of our last board report:

----

 From my POV, it's a bit of a tossup.  On the one hand, there are
clearly a lot of sub-projects under the WS umbrella, and it would make
for a lot less complexity if we split some of them out.  On the other,
there is a fairly large cluster of the projects that really do need to
maintain a pretty tight coupling, so having a single place they can all
exchange information is kind of nice too.

I think we can achieve both goals with something like this:

* Axis2 - becomes a TLP for both Java and C versions, with
Axis2-specific components underneath as subprojects.  So Rampart,
Sandesha, Savan, Kandula....

* Axis1 basically gets retired, with questions still answerable on
axis-dev/user.

* There are a few common libraries (used both inside and outside Axis2)
like Axiom and WSS4J that still need a place to live, not to mention the
other projects like Scout, JAX-RPC, and JUDDI.  I'd suggest those stay
in WS for now, but perhaps get rid of the "commons" idea and upline
Axiom, Neethi, etc. to subprojects instead of "sub-subprojects". :)

----

What do people think of that layout?

If we want to make this happen, I can draft up the necessary board
resolutions.

Thanks,
--Glen