ws-dev mailing list archives

From "Davanum Srinivas" <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:11:08 GMT
Samisa,

You have hit the nail on the head. People are who they are. Right now
the umbrella is so vast that everyone is able to hide behind others.
There is no accountability. When there is a smaller group of active
people, There will be better accountability to each other and to the
board and to our end users.

There are tactics that we can employ for example, we should make a new
single release including all projects including XmlSchema, Rampart and
Sandesha with Axis2. But still make extra releases of say Sandesha2 as
necessary as well separately for Sandesha. You will ask, why can't we
do this today and i'll say that these kind of tactics work better with
a TLP like focus.

thanks,
dims

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe
<samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>
>> Eran,
>>
>> Clearly you did not read my previous emails. *PLEASE* read them and
>> then we can continue.
>>
>> For example, I said "1. The proposal was to split Axis2+Anything that
>> Axis2 Uses+Anything that is built on Axis2 into a separate TLP."
>>
>> Also, i said this before, but repeat it again, The current status quo
>> sucks. What we have is not working.
>> - Really bad web sites
>> - Really bad status of JIRA issues
>> - Really bad track record of making releases periodically
>> - There are many disjoint islands
>> - The set of projects mentioned above is totally disjoint from other
>> projects in WS PMC.
>>

> How can a TLP solve all these? If people are who they are now, even after
> making Axis2 a TLP, the bad websites and bad release cycles will remain.
> On the other hand, if we cannot sync the releases of Axis2's sub projects,
> then irrespective of Axis2 being a TLP, it would turn out to be a useless
> project. Because one of Axis2's key strenghts is the set of sub projects it
> has.
>
> So IMHO, what is more important is to solve the above problems. However, I
> doubt if TLP would be a solution for that.
>
> Samisa...
>>
>> What we have is broken, We are not the only ones in this situation,
>> this has happened before at Apache with XML and Jakarta PMC's. Please
>> go and look at the history and how the projects are faring now after
>> becoming logical/smaller footprint PMCs. Please go ask them or ask the
>> board@ or ask members if you don't believe, let's learn from their
>> experiences.
>>
>> *IF* people who are on the current projects that are not in the "
>> Axis2+Anything that Axis2 Uses+Anything that is built on Axis2" list
>> want to tell us something, they should chime in and tell us what they
>> think and we'll take a vote.
>>
>> Right now it's just a few of us who are just repeating the same things
>> over and over again without even reading what the other person is
>> saying.
>>
>> thanks,
>> dims
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Eran Chinthaka
>> <eran.chinthaka@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Problems :
>>>
>>> 1. Another member will have to waste time on doing PMC work
>>> 2. We will lose the tight dependency between Axis2 and related projects