ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Update of "SdoDistroChat" by KelvinGoodson
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:15:22 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by KelvinGoodson:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/SdoDistroChat

New page:
= An IRC Chat Transcript that will form the basis of a description of how to build distributiuons
using maven =
{{{
	<kgoodson_away>	jboynes are you there?
	=-=	YOU are now known as kgoodson
	[INFO]	You are no longer marked as away.
	<jboynes>	yes but otp
	<kgoodson>	ok, np, perhaps later
	<jboynes>	10 min?
	<kgoodson>	sure, thanks
	-->|	ant (n=torntrou@host81-146-64-196.btremoteinternet-dsl.bt.net) has joined #Tuscany
	|<--	isilval__ has left irc.freenode.net ("Trillian (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com")
	<kgoodson>	lresende did you see that jeremy will be available soon?
	<lresende>	yes
	-->|	sykesm (n=sykesm@ool-4357628d.dyn.optonline.net) has joined #Tuscany
	===	sykesm <n=sykesm@ool-4357628d.dyn.optonline.net> “southwick”
	===	sykesm: member of #tuscany
	===	sykesm: attached to irc.freenode.net “http://freenode.net/”
	---	End of WHOIS information for sykesm.
	<jboynes>	winding up :)
	<kgoodson>	ok, great, let us know when you are free
	<lresende>	i'm ready too kgoodson
	<jboynes>	ok, sorry about that
	<jboynes>	these things always seem to run long
	<kgoodson>	no problem, its about the separate packaging thread on the mailing list
	<jboynes>	ok
	<kgoodson>	lresende pinged me to say he was thinking of the ssame for das
	<jboynes>	saw your note - that should be trivial
	<jboynes>	doing that for das would be simple
	<jboynes>	as well
	<kgoodson>	ok, thats great, but im a true novice, so how can we best make use of your
expertise, can you take us through what we need to do?
	<jboynes>	sure
	<lresende>	great
	<jboynes>	have you had a chance to look at the assembly plugin?
	<kgoodson>	i took a look at the web page you mentioned, but have delved into detail
	<jboynes>	want a quick summary?
	<kgoodson>	yes please
	<jboynes>	ok
	<jboynes>	what is does is enable you to produce distribution assemblies as part of
the build
	<jboynes>	it gathers together all the files etc. and generates an output archive as
a zip/tgz/rpm etc.
	<jboynes>	it doesn't compile/test or anything, it really just assembles stuff together
	<jboynes>	it is configured using two sources: the pom and an assembly descriptor
	-->|	ant_ (n=torntrou@host81-146-64-196.btremoteinternet-dsl.bt.net) has joined #Tuscany
	-->|	isilval__ (n=Ignacio@yktgi01e0-s5.watson.ibm.com) has joined #Tuscany
	<jboynes>	the pom is a standand maven pom and defines what the dependencies are and
what version to use
	<jboynes>	the descriptor defines the layout of the distribution archive
	<jboynes>	so what output directories there are and what files go in them
	<jboynes>	files come from two sources - things in the assembly project itself or dependencies
in the pom
	<jboynes>	ok, I just committed a skeleton in java/distribution/sdo
	<jboynes>	it is not complete yet ;)
	<kgoodson>	thats great, but I have been having lots of trouble with svn update today,
so i'll see if i can get it out
	<lresende>	ok, i'm getting that... i'll take a look
	<jliu>	kgoodson: what problem do u have today with svn update?
	<jliu>	i have a problem with assemply-plugin. i have to change it to version 2.1
	<jboynes>	jliu: I added the codehaus repo to the pluginRepo for the sdo distro
	<kgoodson>	jliu Error: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java'
Error: PROPFIND of '/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java': could not connect to
server (https://svn.apache.org)
	<kgoodson>	but i has started working now -- we get this quite a bit
	<jliu>	ok. that sounds the solution to the assembly-plugin problem. the repository
on maven is bit late than codehaus
	<jliu>	kgoodson: i m fine with svn udpate. just done it.
	<kgoodson>	yes, me too now, so where do we start, with the pom.xml?
	<jboynes>	ok, update again :)
	<jboynes>	I added an empty assembly descriptor as well
	|<--	ant has left irc.freenode.net (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
	<jboynes>	jliu: I added the codehaus repo to the sca distro projects
	<jboynes>	I hope that works now
	-->|	Venkat (n=svkrish@59.145.136.1) has joined #Tuscany
	<jliu>	one problem i have with the distribution is that it only generate an extension
for axis2 binding.
	<jboynes>	one problem is that is generates an extension for axis2 at all
	<jboynes>	but can we take that one to the list
	<jboynes>	kgoodson: yes, start with the pom
	<jliu>	of course i can change it to use celtix binding. so one solution might be another
assemly file thats generate distribution for celtix binding
	<kgoodson>	so we just run plain "mvn" against the pom file in distro/sdo yes?
	<jboynes>	yes that should work
	<jboynes>	jliu: we should take that to the list :)
	<jliu>	ok. to better track it, i ll create a jira
	<Venkat>	Hi.. I have a crazy problem with maven.. anybody willing to help
	<jboynes>	Venkat: sure if you don't mind being the third concurrent thread here :)
	<kgoodson>	jboynes is giving us a great tutorial on assembly descriptors at the mo
	<jboynes>	kgoodson: you should have a target/sdo-1.0-SNAPSHOT-bin.zip
	<jliu>	Venkat: whats the problem. i spent a lot time to struggle with maven today.
;-)
	<jboynes>	if you "jar tvf target/sdo-1.0-SNAPSHOT-bin.zip" you should see it contains
license and notice files
	<kgoodson>	jboynes i get a build error
	<Venkat>	well.. its to do with the RMI Binding i posted today.. I am using cglib jars
in that... now when I do a clean build on mvn... the cglib classes do not get resolved despite
proper mention of the cglib dependency in the pom.xml
	<Venkat>	on eclipse everything compiles well...
	<kgoodson>	just investigating -- here it is ...
	<kgoodson>	Error reading assemblies: Error locating assembly descriptor file: C:\Development\Tortoise\1\distribution\sdo\src\main
\assembly\sdo.xml

and indeed the folder is empty, despite another svn update
	<jboynes>	sorry, update again
	<jboynes>	that is the error you get when you forget to check in the descriptor
	<kgoodson>	np, rebuilding now :-)
	<kgoodson>	yes, i see the zip files in target now
	<jboynes>	ok, so we have the plugin executing and building an archive based on the
descriptor
	<jliu>	venkat: have u committed the change to svn? if so, we can try to build it on
our side
	<jboynes>	the legal files are added by the <fileSets> element in the descriptor
	<kgoodson>	ok, i see that
	<jboynes>	you can add any files you want from this module
	<jboynes>	useful for readmes and other things that relate to the distro
	<Venkat>	no.. I have just posted the patch to a Jira... and Ant has assigned that to
himself...
	<ant_>	jliu, i've not committed it yet. think i may just commit it as is but take it
out of the bindings pom for now
	<jboynes>	the other element in there is <dependencySets> which allow you to add
dependencies from the pom
	<jboynes>	and which also add all transitive deps as well
	<jboynes>	so lets add the sdo impl
	<kgoodson>	sounds good!
	<jboynes>	first we declare a dependency in the pom
	<jboynes>	http://rafb.net/paste/results/XVkO3n83.html
	<jliu>	ant: did u give cglib an explicit version number in pom? i found sometimes maven
can not resolve the right version if let itself to figure out the so called "shortest depth
version"
	<kgoodson>	got that thanks
	<jboynes>	and then we include the dependency in the assembly
	<jboynes>	http://rafb.net/paste/results/5cUG5q80.html
	<ant_>	it has an explicit version. it seems to find it and download it ok
	<kgoodson>	ok
	<jboynes>	(update to get the changes)
	<kgoodson>	done
	<jboynes>	if you build now and jar t the archive you should see it contain the sdo
jar plus all of its dependencies
	<kgoodson>	yes i have that!
	<kgoodson>	and it has dragged the api by way of the transitive nature of dependencies
	<jboynes>	yes
	<jboynes>	that's basically it
	<kgoodson>	ok, so the pattern is established fully , yes? I guess I'll need to put
in javadoc, readme, samples, tooling for code gen, do you think I am now set to do all that
	<jboynes>	I think the pattern is there
	<kgoodson>	jboynes, many thanks for your time
	<jboynes>	the only thing is I would suggest setting up a directory under source where
things like readme and scripts can go
	<jboynes>	e.g. src/main/"something"
	<jboynes>	and add that as a second fileset
	<kgoodson>	so juyst to be clear, that's under distribution/sdo/src/main
	<jboynes>	yes
	<jboynes>	e.g src/main/distrib/bin/foo.bat
	<jliu>	ant: then probably u can commit rmi binding with rmi module commented out from
pom, so that other guys can try it out to see how it goes
	|<--	sykesm has left irc.freenode.net ("Hey! Where'd my controlling terminal go?")
	<jboynes>	and add src/main/distrib as the source for the fileset with outputDirectory
empty
	<jboynes>	that will copy all files from src/main/distrib into the output archive
	<jboynes>	or you might have src/main/bin as a separate fileset with the execute bit
set (mode 755)
	<jboynes>	personally I'd distribute the samples and javadoc separately but that's up
to you :)
	<lresende>	and, so.. i just need to follow similar aproach and use sample sdo skeleton
as model for DAS, right ?
	<jboynes>	yes
	<Venkat>	kgoodson.. is it possible for you to collate whatever jboynes has mentioned
here and put it over the wiki..
	<Venkat>	just to capture it there.. we will trim it as we go along...
	<jboynes>	gotta run guys - another phone call
	<kgoodson>	venkat yes, i can do that
	<kgoodson>	thanks again
	<Venkat>	thanks... :)
	<lresende>	thanks jboynes