ws-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject maven SNAPSHOT, was: XmlSchema/Axiom/Policy
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:50:49 GMT
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 09:02 -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>>Team,
>>
>>Please see latest snapshots of the 3 commons projects. They are now
>>marked 1.0-SNAPSHOT. Please update your dependencies appropriately.
>>
>>http://cvs.apache.org/repository/ws-commons/jars/
>

> Do we really need to put a version # in a snapshot? (This is a general
> question; not specifically about these components.) IMO a snapshot is a
> snapshot .. the only thing that matters is the date and not the version
> before or after ..

The convention is there to indicate which future version the SNAPSHOT is
a step on the way to. If there is only one development tree then the
version may not be appropriate but as soon as you introduce branches
then you need to be able to tell SNAPSHOTs from the different branches
apart.

To answer Jochen's concern, I don't think maven's internal logic (1 or
2) has any requirement for a number in this element - you can call your
versions anything that makes sense to you. However, there is some stuff
in m2 for range matching so sticking to a typical major.minor.maint
scheme for released (non-SNAPSHOT) jars probably makes sense.

--
Jeremy