ws-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: RFC: ws-commons
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 23:27:10 GMT
On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 21:06 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> That's something we have discussed in the past. It is of course
> reasonable and desirable. However, it is not as trivial as one might
> think, particularly because the JAXB specification extends XML Schema
> with scopes, that XMLBeans doesn't even know about. If these could be
> added to the XMLBeans schema parser, then my guess would be that JaxMe
> could use another schema parser relatively easy.

Yuck, I'm absolutely against extending XSD in any way ... its a big
enough beast as it is!!! Maybe Sun felt the need to extend it to fit it
with Java better but that's wrong and way too damned Java centric for
me. With Axis2's WSDL2<XYZ> we're designing it to be used for multiple
target languages from the outset and hence any Java-favoring XSD
extensions are a definite no-no.

> Problem is, I'd definitely spend no work in that direction, because
> JaxMe clearly needs other things done first.

Can we take the base interfaces for the XSD model from JaxMe (and
XMLBeans) and create a set of interfaces in ws-commons? The key question
is whether you guys and the XMLBeans guys are willing to be implementing
(and extending to make JAXB happy) those interfaces .. if yes then maybe
Axis2 folks can try to find some resources to help you get that done.
(Dasarath was threatening to do his own "simple" XSD model .. maybe all
that positive energy can be focused on a good thing instead ;-)

Sanjiva.