ws-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stax parsers - one more variation
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:33:26 GMT
Dims,

I just stumbled over TUSCANY-1818. When reading this together with
WSCOMMONS-66 and WSCOMMONS-262, things become clearer. Apparently,
what happened is that in the first versions of XLXP-J, IBM didn't get
the StAX specs right and Axiom had to adapt to this, i.e. the vague
term "user community" actually refers to IBM! When they finally
recognized this problem, they introduced the
javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamWriter.isSetPrefixBeforeStartElement
property as an elegant way to rectify this without making too much
noise. Brilliant!

Andreas

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:21, Andreas Veithen<andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dims,
>
> Actually I initially developed the idea to have the concept of a "StAX
> dialect" in Axiom when I saw this piece of code. I started to
> implement this feature when trying to solve the thread safety issue,
> but the aim is clearly to get rid of the isSetPrefixBeforeStartElement
> hack(s).
>
> I had a closer look at the code during the weekend, but I fail to see
> in which case we would actually need/have
> isSetPrefixBeforeStartElement == true. In my opinion, the StAX
> specifications don't leave enough room for the second interpretation
> (that setPrefix would apply to the next writeStartElement) [1]. Also,
> of all the StAX implementations I've seen, none expects this. Do you
> have any idea which "user community" "believes" this?
>
> Andreas
>
> [1] http://people.apache.org/~veithen/axiom/devguide/ch02.html#d0e69
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 00:45, Davanum Srinivas<davanum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andreas,
>>
>> Not sure if you have seen this already. There's some convoluted code
>> in org/apache/axiom/om/impl/util/OMSerializerUtil.java (method
>> isSetPrefixBeforeStartElement) which basically has a toggle based on
>> the parsers.
>>
>>            // Fallback: Toggle based on sun or woodstox implementation.
>>            NamespaceContext nc = writer.getNamespaceContext();
>>            ret = (nc == null ||
>>                    (nc.getClass().getName().indexOf("wstx") == -1 &&
>>                            nc.getClass().getName().indexOf("weblogic")
== -1 &&