ws-commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Neuberger, Nicholas (EHQ)" <NPNeuber...@express-scripts.com>
Subject RE: [TCPMON] request / response
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2009 04:49:12 GMT
I'll give everyone a quick status of our progress on extending TcpMon with a record / playback
functionality.

Here's what we have now, but there are a few flaws.

New Feature:
*Added record / playback feature that is SOAP centric (this was our primary need).
**Added record / playback icon on the screen to turn on feature.
*When R/P feature is on the following occurs:

The incoming request is analyzed and parsed.  All SOAP header information and XML soap request
is parsed into a pojo/domain object.   The object is then checked to determine if it is stored
in the database.  We are currently using hashCode for object identity, which appears to be
a short term solution.

We compare the identity on the XML soap message only, and store other parts as additional
fields like the following:
--If it isn't then a request to the backend remote host is forwarded and the response is returned
back to TcpMon and stored in the database.   Final the response is returned back to the original
request on the listening port.

--If it is in the database, then the response from the db is returned back to the original
request on the listening port.

Currently we are using Spring / Hibernate for the persistence layer and MySQL for the local
database.   Now current implementation with these api's probably won't mesh well with a patch
to an Apache project and GPL / Apache licensing.   Also, we are going looking at building
into the application an In-Memory database possibly (h2, hsqldb, or derby).

The current implementation we have is SOAP centric but could possibly be enhanced for other
things as well.  And there are issues with using hashCode on the soap envelope.   If any request
comes in with any different value, then the remote server is called, which in some development
cases, you wouldn't want that.   In one scenario, a developer would want to always return
the same response no matter what.   Basically, an override table that if a request with a
soap action of: findMyWidgets   then always return a default down response.

Thoughts?   I'm open to any suggestions, criticism, ideas.

Nick