ws-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Neethi 3.0
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:11:18 GMT

On Tue June 16 2009 1:41:25 am Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> +1 Dan. Can you clarify #3 a bit please?

Sure.   Basically, in order to make this workable at all (and worth my time to
proceed down this course), we need to have an API that is palatable by
everyone involved.   The PRIMARY reason for the fork of some of the Neethi
stuff in CXF is the Axiom dependency which is not acceptable for our core use
cases.   If that is eliminated, the fork in CXF can go away.    There were two
main options I considered:

1) DOM element - this is currently what the CXF version uses.   This is
because things like WSDL4J DOM parses extensor elements (by default) and
spring provides configuration things as DOM elements and such.    Thus, it
worked best for us.   However, for Axis2, that would require flipping the
Axiom stuff over to DOM mode which has performance issues.

2) StAX - The proposal below is to use StAX.   The Policy objects themselves
already use StAX for writing XML.   Thus, using it to read the xml would make
it consistent.   Also, that makes it pretty easy for both Axis2 and CXF to
work with it.   Creating an XMLStreamReader from a DOM or Axiom thing is
"trivial" so whatever path you choose should work fairly well.    Plus, as we
go down the route of WS-MEX and other remote policy retrieval mechanisms, it
would allow direct  StAX streaming.  (like directly from the HTTP InputStream)

Anyway, switching to StAX seemed to be the most palatable by both parties.
If we can agree on that, then the common policy objects and stuff can become a
reality.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp