ws-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Lawrence Mandel <lman...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: rename HTTPTracer to tcpmon
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:01:28 GMT
Never mind. I just found a post confirming that the project is the Axis 1
TCP/IP monitor.

+1 for naming the project tcpmon (or something similar). As Sanjiva said,
this tool traces more than HTTP and is already known as tcpmon.

Lawrence Mandel

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM
03/22/2006 06:58 PM

commons-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: VOTE: rename HTTPTracer to tcpmon

Sanjiva,

I'm not familiar with HTTPTracer. Is this the TCP/IP monitor in Axis2?
Will this project live in WS commons? Is there a version available for
download?

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk>
03/22/2006 06:51 PM
Please respond to
commons-dev@ws.apache.org

commons-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
VOTE: rename HTTPTracer to tcpmon

I'd like to propose that we rename Apache HTTPTracer to Apache Tcpmon.

Tcpmon was the name that Axis1's corresponding thing is known as. Axis1
has WAAYYY more users than Axis2 yet obviously and so there's a lot of
people who we will have to re-educate to "HTTPTracer" than the other way
around.

Plus, the darned thing can be used to trace any TCP protocol, not just
HTTP. As such, HTTPTracer is even an incorrect name.

Here's my vote: +1.

Sanjiva.