wicket-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Colman" <chr...@stepaheadsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Wicke website makeover time?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:43:31 GMT
This looks like it could be useful:

http://jekyllbootstrap.com/

They have autowired all the necessary Liquid template stuff to make
generation of a bootstrap styled site from jekyll source a breeze.

Maybe it's worth having a play with it using the current wicket site's
jekyll source?

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Grigorov [mailto:mgrigorov@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 November 2014 9:11 PM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Re: Wicke website makeover time?

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Martijn Dashorst <
martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Several attempts at a refresh have been done but they all strand in
two
> things:
>
>  - time to actually do something with a design that is received
> enthusiastically
>  - copywriting the website, especially the front page
>
> For example I tend to doodle in keynote for ideas of a new web site
> look and my latest thing is actually going back to our roots (at
> http://wicket.sourceforge.net/1.2):
>
> http://imgur.com/D74s1dj
> http://imgur.com/UFxgSRI,jHawnst#0
> http://imgur.com/UFxgSRI,jHawnst#1
>
> I think it looks awesome but lack currently the time to actually do
> something more with it other than have it in keynote.
>
> There are some hurdles to consider:
>  - website technology (currently jekyll, but asciidoctor might be a
> better future candidate, especially for the reference guide)
>
>  - svn pub sub, I guess there's git pub sub but am not sure if/how
that
> works

There was a discussion at infra@ the other day about this:

David Nalley (Infra team leader):
<quote>
In a word, no.
Technically, I am sure we could build it, but we won't.
We use svnpubsub to keep the ~250 websites we have to manage a
relatively sane process. Moving some sites to git makes that far more
complicated.

--David

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Tomer Shiran <tshiran@apache.org>
wrote:
> I have a follow-up question. Is it possible to use git to publish the
> website as opposed to svn? We use git for the project's source code,
so
that
> would be convenient.
</quote>

But this should not stop us. It is easy to create our own shell script
that
copies the Asciidoctor output to another folder (the site svn working
directory) and commit it. We can add it to the release.sh script.

 - how to publish the site (currently generate, svn commit, but if

<mgrigorov@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Chris Colman <
> chrisc@stepaheadsoftware.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi fellow wicketeers!
> >>
> >> We all know that Wicket has to be the most awesome and productive
Java
> >> UI framework around but I am worried when I point new clients to
the
> >> Wicket website because it's look and feel is possibly a little
dated or
> >> '2007ish style'.
> >>
> >> I feel like the look and feel of the Wicket website doesn't do
justice
> >> to the full awesomeness that we all know wicket has.
> >>
> >> We all know that, using the wicket Java UI framework it's possible
> >> create websites with *any* look and feel but unfortunately many
clients
> >> don't have this same technical awareness and see the website for
Wicket,
> >> a framework for building web applications in Java, and assume that
the
> >> Wicket website itself is an example of the type of webapp/website
you'll
> >> end up with if you build it with Wicket - which we all know is not
the
> >> case: we're building awesome AJAX enabled, modern, sexy Bootstrap
> >> templated webapps in Wicket.
> >>
> >> A few years ago someone had produced a prototype of a refurbished
Wicket
> >> website that looked really quite nice but it never was deployed to
the
> >> live server for some reason.
> >

> > I guess you mean https://github.com/dashorst/wicket-site.
> >

> >> These days I think most developers know that it's fairly easy to
make a
> >> great, modern looking website using one of the many Bootstrap
> >> customizations (eg., Bootswatch).
> >>
> >> First question:
> >>
> >> Does anyone else think a wicket website makeover is overdue (or are
most
> >> people happy with the current look and feel)?
> >>

> > I do!
> > But I am not capable of doing it myself because I am not an artist.
> > I don't have this kind of imagination to create something pretty.
> > Functional - yes, but not pretty :(
> >
> > Recently I've had a conversation with a client about this topic.
(They
> use
> > Wicket Bootstrap)
> >
> > Me (explaining why Wicket Bootstrap is not a module of Apache Wicket
> > distro):
> > <quote>
> > Today Bootstrap is the hype. Tomorrow something else will be
> > This is the main reason why WB hasn't been merged as a sub project
of
> > Apache Wicket itself.
> > </quote>
> >
> > The client:
> > <quote>
> > Agreed, and I think the strategy of Wicket is fine for experienced
web
> > developers.
> >
> > However, for every experienced developer, I assume there are 10
novices
> > trying out Wicket and if you don't steer novice users towards a
HTML/CSS