wicket-users mailing list archives

From Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <reier...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rationale for Converting to AngularJS/Spring MVC
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:59:05 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Richard W. Adams <RWADAMS1@up.com> wrote:

> I don't have first hand knowledge of the decision making process, but I
> understand there were two main factors:
>
> 1.  Difficulty in changing/maintaining the intermediate corporate
> libraries, especially when considering whether to make the leap from
> Wicket 1.4.17 to 6.x.

How was it difficult?

> 2. A perception of excessive cost in training new developers to use
> Wicket. I myself am fairly comfortable with Wicket now (after 2 years
> experience), but have to admit  the leaning curve was pretty steep.

IMHO this is not going to improve with Angular.SJ+  Spring MVC: its is
going to be worse.

1-With wicket you might hire a very good wicket developer that creates the
components / widgets you need and the rest of the team just use those
components and be "shielded" form JavaScript and mostly just do "server
side". With Angular you will need more developers covering the whole stack
(sever side and client side).
2-You can also reuse code at a maximum and if you have a lot of
applications/similar screen you can roll out  "meta components" covering
those use cases... Not sure you will be able to achieve the same so easily
with Angular.JS + Spring MVC.

As I mentioned before I was working last three weeks with an application
built with Backbone.JS (similar to Angular but less high level) +  Spring
MVC. All the "complexities" of this application would be mostly trivial
using wicket. One thing that stoke me the most if the non DRYNESS of
development: you change one thing at a place and you have to manually hunt
down in all layers how this trivial change will impact application.