wicket-users mailing list archives

From Zac Bedell <zacl...@thebedells.org>
Subject Constructors take vararg of Component? (Enhancement RFC)
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2013 19:24:43 GMT
Greetings all,

I was wondering what Wicket users & devs might thing of a possible API change for a future
version (maybe Wicket 7?) of including a varargs array of Component as the final parameter
of all of the various MarkupContainer subclasses?  I find myself doing things like these a
lot:

    pnlNoRsvp = new WebMarkupContainer("pnlNoRsvp");
    pnlRsvp = new StatusPanel("pnlRsvp");
    pnlConfirm = new ConfirmPanel("pnlConfirm");
    pnlRsvpRules = new RsvpRulesPanel("pnlRsvpRules");

    RsvpPage.this.add(
        new Label("event.title"),
        new CssFeedbackPanel("feedback"),
        new Form<RsvpPage>("frmRsvp", cpm) {
          {
            add(pnlNoRsvp, pnlRsvp, pnlConfirm);
          }
        },
        pnlRsvpRules
    );

-- or --

    Form<RsvpPage> frmRsvp = new Form<RsvpPage>("frmRsvp", cpm);
    frmRsvp.add(pnlNoRsvp, pnlRsvp, pnlConfirm);

    RsvpPage.this.add(
        new Label("event.title"),
        new CssFeedbackPanel("feedback"),
        frmRsvp,
        pnlRsvpRules
    );

--

If Form and the various other Wicket MarkupContainer's had constructors with Component...
as their final parameter, it would be possible to do something like:

    RsvpPage.this.add(
        new Label("event.title"),
        new CssFeedbackPanel("feedback"),
        new Form<RsvpPage>("frmRsvp", cpm, pnlNoRsvp, pnlRsvp, pnlConfirm),
        pnlRsvpRules
    );

--

Granted, this would balloon the number of constructors throughout the framework just to save
a bit of typing.  Curious what others might think...

Best regards,
Zac Bedell