wicket-users mailing list archives

From Per Lundholm <per.lundh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Detaching and ModalWindow causes race condition
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:40:13 GMT
Sorry Martijn but you are so ahead of me that I can't even follow the
suggestion you make.

However, I just can support you on not using modal windows. We have a
back office application written in Swing that use modal windows a lot
and it is just getting worse by each feature added.

Modal windows are really a last resort and should not be used at all,
if you can avoid it. What I have seen is that they tend to grow in
functionality over time and suddenly you are faced with the question:
"should I put a modal window here, oh, I am already in a modal
window".

(Ranting further), modal windows are primarily for non-expert users
that need guidance when you wish to be certain that they know the
implications of what they do. There should be nothing but some
information and a yes/no question.

Apparently, it seems that the users are pushing you around and
customer is always right, so what to do? I suggest a step back and
present a complete new style of interaction that would give users a
much better flow in the interaction than now.

Thanks for reading. :-)

Kindly,
  Per