wicket-users mailing list archives

From Christopher L Merrill <ch...@webperformance.com>
Subject Re: singletons, pools, wicket, web services and architecture
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:00:11 GMT
James Carman wrote:
> Is there any particular reason that you want to use XML-based
> communication if you have an all-Java architecture going on?
> Wouldn't it be easy to XMLize the services you're exposing remotely later if a
> different type of client would want to connect to it?  I'd say just
> use Spring remoting (if you're using Spring).

RMI would probably have been our (my) first choice, but is out due to firewall issues.
Spring with the HTTP invoker was considered as well as some other more efficient
HTTP and/or light-XML options.  There are some organizational reasons to favor
SOAP vs something simpler and there are plans to extend the service at some
point to other organizations.  We certainly _could_ do that later, but maintaining
a 3rd interface down the road is not attractive in terms of maintenance cost.
We would have to content with an installed user base - and therefore could not
easily deprecate an unused interface.

Personally, I'm not fond of XML for this type of work...but such is life :>

chris@webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services