wicket-dev mailing list archives

From tetsuo <ronald.tet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ajax in Wicket.next
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:25:11 GMT

> tetsu, ever tried to:

It's tetsu*o*.

> - get an AjaxRequestTarget in a component that was not designed by ajax in
> mind?

Yes, and it works pretty well. I can't really remember a single case that I
couldn't do what I wanted to do. Sometimes I had to do it in a different way
than I tried to do first, but it always ends up working.

- tried to ajaxify a table-row in a dataTable component?

I don't know, probably. I do remember trying to ajax-refreshing treetable (a
third-party, not the built-in one) rows, and it did work. I think I had to
do something like target.add(getParent().getParent()). Not the most
beautiful thing in the world, but it worked.

- tried ajax with repeaters?

Yes, the way it is supposed to be done, refreshing its parent container, or
the items individually.

- tried to interact with a modal window from inside in case you have a pure
> non-ajax page within it?

With iframes? I think it works ok, unless you are trying to do it
cross-domain, which isn't allowed by the browser, not by Wicket.

> of even
>
> - got tired with the verbose .setOut... .setMark... true?

No, because I use a ComponentInstantiationListener to call
.setOutputMarkupId(true) in all components.

- wondered why my ajaxified component got more lines of code then the rest
> of the page?

Maybe because your ajaxified components are much more complex than mine?
Maybe because you don't know what you are doing? My ajaxified pages are
usually very, very similar to the non-ajaxified ones.

Wicket's ajax support is the best I've ever seen in any framework. It's
simple, it's direct, it's intuitive, it's easy to use. Maybe the internals
are fragile or messy, then it needs some refactoring. Maybe some things
aren't possible (that is what I asked, because I haven't hit any of those
cases), but it has always worked brilliantly for me.

But it's definitely not broken.