wicket-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:10:32 GMT
Ok, so since this is brainstorming time I can probably ask for cool features without getting
punished :-)

- partial ajax updates on repeaters (insert/modify/delete)
- some kind of intuitive support from wicket to synchronize access to session or page data
when processing multiple, concurrent ajax requests
- easier interaction between javascript and page with less magic. Especially I would love
to have stable urls for ajax callbacks that are relative to the page.

[disclaimer]  consider the following example just non-functional(!) pseudo(!) code to get
the idea what I mean... no idea if this could possibly work ... please excuse if this is complete
b**s** :-)

EXAMPLE....

public class CheckoutPage extends WebPage
{
	private OrderLineItems items;
	private PaymentMethod payment;

	public CheckoutPage()
	{
		mountPageResponder("order/items", new PageResponder()
		{
			@Override
		    public void onGet(Request request, Response response)
			  {
				  // convert order line items into json
				  // send json to client
                           }
		});
		mountPageResponder("payment/change", new PageResponder()
		{
			@Override
		    public void onPost(Request request, Response response)
			 {
			     // move : request.getParameter("method") -> this.payment
			  }
		});
	}
}

So gettting the shopping items from within javascript in the checkout page with jQuery would
simply be

  $.get("order/items", function(data) {
    // process order line item data and refresh markup
  })

Change the payment method to master card:

  $.ajax({ type: 'POST', url: "payment/change", data: { method: 'master-card' }, success:
updatePaymentInfoCallback, error: showError )

(please excuse possibly errors in the above javascript)

so no need for stuff like this:

		add(new Behavior()
		{
			@Override
			public void renderHead(Component component, IHeaderResponse response)
			{
                           response.renderOnLoadJavaScript("initCheckoutScript('" + urlFor(someListener)
+ "');");
			}
		})

Cheers
Peter

Am 31.08.2011 um 14:26 schrieb Korbinian Bachl - privat:

> My wish list:
>
> 1. Java 6
>
> 2. JEE6 where possible like e.g. CDI;
>
> 3. Modularization using OSGI
>
> 4. AJAX overhaul: currently Ajax is a pain in case it gets more complicated as one
> -> needs to add components to target AND page hierarchy;
> -> needs to do .setOutput****Id(true) all over
> -> can't touch "invisible" containers in e.g.: DataTable
>
> 5. look at side-efforts done by matej, igor and co to bring the nice things to wicket
and enhance/ or replace the affected counterparts of wicket (e.g.: DataTable vs. InMethod
Grid; bindgen-wicket etc.)

> 6. Not 100% sure: let the HTML templates feed via a single place so one can switch to
e.g. a JCR implementation - however, I dont know how this could work in conjunction with added
jars etc. to path. Idea is to allow the templates to live outside the java part (e.g.: CMS);