wicket-dev mailing list archives

From Attila Király <kiralyattila...@gmail.com>
Subject [Wicketstuff 1.5][Vote] Code formatting
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:46:19 GMT
Hi!

A lot of responses were posted and there was also some talk on IRC about the
previous suggestion. Cool! I feared that the discussion will boil down to
tabs vs spaces or to where to put the braces. :) Luckily that was not the
case.

It seems there was only one area which was not liked by some: to put
Eclipse's .settings directory into the repo. There were several ideas about
how to accomplish auto code formatting, cleanup in an IDE independent way
but there was no consensus.

But on the bright side no one complained about adopting wicket style as the
common format. Peter Ertl mentioned some difficulties about IDEA and javadoc
formatting but if that is all Imho we can live with slightly inconsistent
javadoc formatting for now.

So I would like to put up to vote the following modified suggestion.

1. Wicketstuff adopts wicket style code formatting + code cleanup. This
covers java, xml, html, js, css files existing and future projects too. We
document this in wiki.
2. The java source gets reformatted and committed. These commits will hold
no functional change only formatting. This step will be repeated to time to
time (for example: once in a month near before a release) to get the source
into consistent shape.
3. There will be one directory at the top level of the repo where we can put
IDE specific config files. Only a few files and they must be applied
manually if someone wants to use them. For example: I would like to put up
an xml containing the adopted formatting that can be imported into Eclipse
and made a workspace default. IDEA users could put there a similar xml for
that IDE.
4. Optionally we set up a checkbox xml to check for the rules. This can be
used by CI and IDE plugins to mark formatting violations as warnings.

Doing these will be a big step forward in wicketstuff and code quality. I
can do 1, 2, 3 (Eclipse part) for the rest I hope other committers can
contribute.

Please vote with
+1 if you are for it
-1 if you are against it, in this case please explain your reasons

This is the first time I put up a vote but I think 3 days should be enough
for it. So vote until tuesday.

Thanks
Attila