wicket-dev mailing list archives

From Eelco Hillenius <eelco.hillen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: taking the I out of Interface
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:14:57 GMT
I just want to get off my chest that it is amazing to me we all make
such a big deal out of that "I" being there. It's been there forever,
and with previous discussions we always concluded to leave it in
there. I never liked the code format we're using (curly braces on the
next line), but heck even though Wicket is the only project I've ever
worked on (as far as I can remember) where I used that, it's not
something to lose sleep over. Same with the I, I like it, but I'd be
fine with any alternative. More problematic to me is that we're going
to break a lot of code - including code printed on dead trees - over
it while there is absolutely no benefit other than a superficial one,
and as you can see from the replies in the thread, it's not even
universally thought of as better. And I think that some are a bit too
quick to trivialize that. Breaks, even little ones are annoying and
imho only justifyable when there's a clear benefit to doing that. But
this is plain nitpicking to me.

I wouldn't give this a blocking vote, even if I had been more active
in the last year, but I'd like to ask everyone to not take even little
API breaks too lightly.

Eelco