wicket-dev mailing list archives

From Miguel Munoz <mmu...@MainPointSystems.com>
Subject Re: PropertyResolver redesign
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 18:08:14 GMT

Yes, I hoped I was making it clear that this wasn't a real-world test, it was
a stress test to exaggerate the inefficiencies. This makes them easier to
measure. Stress tests have their place. While my code clearly wouldn't ever
see a case like this, we would see something similar: When many users are on
line, many threads will be sorting many smaller datasets. In this case, I
still want the sort to run as efficiently as possible. This is why I was
measuring the efficiency of the PropertyResolver, and why I still feel
there's a faster way to do this.

That said, I have accepted the Wicket team's claim that we shouldn't use
PropertyResolver in our own code. I have developed my own resolver, which,
as I expected, runs much more efficiently. (We tried OGNL and MVEL, but
neither was really suitable.)

Eelco Hillenius wrote:

>>  The dataset I was sorting on was generated specifically to test the
>> speed of
>>  different comparators, and had a dataset of 100,000 elements, and I was
>>  sorting using the standard sort method from the collections package,
>>  accessed from Arrays.sort(). However, I now have data that times
>> individual
>>  calls of the Comparator's compare() method:
>
> You would never load a data set of 100,000 elements (or even a 1,000
> for that matter) in Wicket models, simply because you wouldn't display
> that many components (your browser probably wouldn't be able to handle
> that for instance). Furthermore, even if you would find the need to do
> such sorting in-memory using Java, you would do that upfront, before
> arriving at the user interface layer.
>
> Eelco

-----
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary and those who don't.