wicket-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Lindner" <lind...@visionet.de>
Subject RE: generics in Wicket
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 09:46:39 GMT
I am completely against degenerifying components. We have build a high abstraction framework
with typed components that are reused in several other components and the generics help us
to ensure to use the the use of the right component at the right place.
Besides some minor problems with suns generic implementation I think that generic are the
most usefull thing for us in Java 5. Type checking at development time hels to speed up development
a lot.
things like

     Integer i = (Integer)integerTextField.getModelObject();

always leads to problems at runtime whent the customer suddenly needs a Dobule field insteda
of an Integer field.
And over and above this would be another API break.

Stefan Lindner