whirr-user mailing list archives

From Ashish <paliwalash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Minor error while starting Hadoop cluster and couple of queries
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:05:30 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Andrei Savu <savu.andrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Couple of questions
>> 1. How can I grant privileges to the login user so that I can
>> controlall the stuff running on cluster
> By editing the bash setup / configure scripts. What privileges are you
> missing?

I want to make the user as admin of the cluster, but user is not
allowed to change any of the existing user's data. The User jobs shall
run as different user, for that it is fine. For admin I need it all.
Let me give a shot at changing the scripts and play with them.

>> 2. Once the cluster is running, a display summary would be better like
>>     Name Node  IP Login string
>>     Data Node    IP Login String   ....
>>    It will make life easy for the user :)
> Sounds like an easy fix. Have you tried:
> $ ./bin/whirr list-cluster --config ...

Not yet, let me give it a shot

>> 3. Is it possible to restart the cluster instance manually
>> afterlogging in or the only way is to destroy and launch the cluster
>> again?
> This is work in progress for 0.8.0:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-421
> Start/Stop/Cleanup are not yet implemented for Hadoop & HBase. See:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-266

Got it. I faced an issue that the Child VM's needed a 1.5G of heap, so
restarting the cluster was only option.

>> 4. Is it possible to use whirr to configure a Hadoop cluster
>> withalready running instances on EC2, rather than firing new ones? The
>> Usecase is to reuse instances during off-peak hours, which would
>> anywaysbe running.
> Yes, you can use the BYON provider. The tricky part is cleaning up the
> nodes
> when the cluster is destroyed - this is also part of WHIRR-266.
> You will need two files similar to:
> https://github.com/apache/whirr/blob/trunk/recipes/nodes-byon.yaml
> https://github.com/apache/whirr/blob/trunk/recipes/zookeeper-byon.properties

Cool ! though this is not my immediate need, but would be worth
spending time later.

Today I just hacked the startup sequence of whirr. Lets me see how far
can I go :)

View raw message