whirr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Baclace <paul.bacl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: public addresses
Date Fri, 03 May 2013 02:01:09 GMT
On 20130425 23:53 , David Alves wrote:
> Hi All
>
> 	The answer to this question is probably obvious for most, but I forget:
> 	- Why are we using the node public addresses when opening ports in firewalls and reporting
master nodes and what not?

> 	I some providers like GCE and Amazon this not only forces the traffic to be routed through
the much slower NAT outer routers but actually charges for the traffic that goes through these
interfaces.
> 	Moreover internal firewalls are usually off which should make our lifes easier in most
cases.
Using the public network unintentionally used to be a common problem on
AWS, but then they started having public dns addresses resolve to local
ip addresses when they are resolved inside aws-ec2.

I don't know what GCE does.

Paul