whirr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Baclace <paul.bacl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whirr on HPCloud
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 23:21:07 GMT
In Aug. 2012, HPCloud did not support the necessary security group
features (symbolic instance membership), so I used manually-created CIDR
/32 permissions. This could have been automated, but I did not have time
to do that.

When using OpenStack, it is important to be aware that any particular
IaaS offering can have a different mix of version levels of the
services. So one needs to know the implemented major version levels of
nova, swift, quantum, keystone, glance, and cinder.

Paul

On 20130315 13:20 , Andrew Bayer wrote:
> Not to engage in thread necromancy, but did you ever manage to get security
> groups on hp cloud working with whirr? =)
>
> A.
>
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Paul Baclace <paul.baclace@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>> From: Adrian Cole
>>> I suppose another way would be to use "openstack-nova-ec2" provider
>>> and specify hp as the endpoint.  This could possibly work, and then
>>> you can use EC2 security group properties.
>> I am able to get an HP AUTH token with curl and use it to list sec.
>> groups, am not sure how to pass that to jclouds, so Whirr gets auth failure
>> just looking up images.  I tried setting whirr.credential to the HP AUTH
>> token and also tried using the secret_key.
>>
>> Workaround would be to supply Whirr with a pre-exisiting security group to
>> use, then I can modify the sec. group with a w.x.y.z/32, CIDR list after
>> Whirr runs.  (On HPCloud, the number of sec. groups is limited to about 7
>> by default, so I easily run out of these (increasing the limit is taking
>> time).)
>>
>> Based on http://code.google.com/p/**jclouds/issues/detail?id=814<http://code.google.com/p/jclouds/issues/detail?id=814>it
looks like what I need is possible:

>> client.**createSecurityGroupRuleAllowin**gSecurityGroupId(**securityGroup.getId(),
>> ingress, securityGroup.getId());
>>

>> Paul
>>

>> On 20120817 16:46 , Paul Baclace wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> I would like to use the ec2 style extension on hpcloud, but I will see if
>>> I get to that.  I'm still making my custom image.
>>>
>>> Note:  hpcloud supports ec2 style metadata like:
>>>      wget -q -O - http://169.254.169.254/latest/**meta-data/local-ipv4<http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/local-ipv4>
>>>

>>> Paul

due to HP Cloud
you'll need to