whirr-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adr...@jclouds.org>
Subject Re: JClouds & OpenStack throttling
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:16:43 GMT
Hi, Steve.

This low throttling policy is not an OpenStack limitation, this is a
Rackspace limitation.  For example, OpenStack does define the error
codes, but there's nothing in the code that says request count for a
public cloud service needs to be so low, that it will lock out any
high frequency poll attempts.

There's a couple things to do, conceding this.

1. contact rackspace and raise your limit
2. set the poll interval high like in everett's example, which I think
was 30 seconds.  You won't know for a while if the server started or
died, but at least you won't lockout your account.
3. there's an effort to reduce the amount of calls in jclouds by
batching requests together and then using a single network call for
many machines.  This still won't solve rackspace as it would likely
also exceed the limit, but it would foster the same number of calls
for a single node cluster as a 20 one.  You can join jcloud-dev google
group if you want in on this.

Above all, please complain to rackspace.  Quotas that are set this low
without a viable alternative place undue burden on the ecosystem.  I'd
understand it, if they had a streaming api, but they don't and the
only way to tell if your servers are running are to poll them (or
switch to IP related pings I guess).

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I understand more about OS throttling now -there are limits on how fast an
> account can instantiate machines; these limits are breaking VM creation
> except for single-VM spin ups
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-682
> Has anyone created a cluster of size >1 on any of the OpenStack Nova
> implementations?
> I can't try on the hp cloud as ping `hostname` fails there -though I could
> just try standing up the VMs as noops to see what their limits are.
> If this defect is in Jclouds, how would I go about fixing it?

View raw message