whirr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: getting the internal FQDN of a host from the whirr client
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 21:23:24 GMT

Steve-

He he I have scars from all the times I've banged my head against this.
I've come to the conclusion you should pretty much always use:

cluster.getInstanceMatching(RolePredicates.role("cmserver")).getPublicHostname()

which is the *public* hostname admittedly -- but should normally resolve
within a private subnet to the private IP if the public IP is not
accessible.  In a good network anyway.  Failing that you should just be
able to use the private IP.  If you're feeling ambitious, fix /etc/hosts
/ DNS for the boxes you manage so that public hostnames do work
everywhere in your universe.  Otherwise you end up hacking different
things for different target clouds.

I think private hostname is a nebulous concept ... good that
Instance.getPrivateHostname is deprecated.  (Private to whom? --
localhost is quite a reliable private hostname but probably not what you
are after!)

So can you somehow use public hostname or private IP ?

--A