whirr-dev mailing list archives

From Andrei Savu <savu.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on Whirr
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:31:59 GMT
Please use the email list for project related questions.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Periya.Data <periya.data@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrei,
>     I am new to building clusters on EC2. I read about Whirr and it looks
> promising. I would like to know if Whirr supports EBS-backed Ubuntu
> instances. Ideally, I want the following:
> - have a small cluster (maybe 5 nodes) on EC2
> - I want to have Hadoop, Sqoop, Hive on it. Preferably, pre-built when I
> start the AMI.

Let's work together on adding Sqoop and Hive to Whirr! Here is a quick
presentation that shows how to create a Whirr service:
http://www.oscon.com/oscon2011/public/schedule/detail/19214

- Configure hadoop, hive and sqoop and have this configuration persistent
> over restarts. If I have EBS-backed instances, I will only "stop" and
> "start".
>
> Whirr seems to be a quick and nice way...but, I do not know if it
> currently supports EBS. Please let me know if it supports EBS or any
> feature that helps in persisting my config files + data. I do not want to
> use S3 as of now...

Right now Whirr is not aware of EBS volumes and that's why you have to use
S3 and distcp to export / import cluster data.