whirr-dev mailing list archives

From Andrei Savu <savu.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contrib for new services
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:25:02 GMT
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Tom White <tom.e.white@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrei, what would the impact be of your proposal on releases? Do we
> only ship services that compile (and pass tests) at the time of
> release? Or are you suggesting a separate release of services?

I really like this idea of having different release cycles for
services and core. It should give us enough flexibility to evolve the
core while maintaining just a subset of services in sync. We could
create a version numbering convention in order to avoid confusions
(e.g. Whirr Hadoop 0.5.x should always work with Whirr Core 0.5.y).

It sounds like we will need some sort of tool for installing supported
services while using the CLI (elasticsearch is using something like
this). When using Whirr as library maven should be enough to handle
multiple versions and releases.

+1 for having different releases for core and services as part of the
same project. This should help as build a larger community, be more
dynamic and increase the number of supported services.