whirr-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrei Savu" <savu.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Convetion for Role names
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 17:21:12 GMT
Yes. I will open a JIRA for an improvement this.

Should we also explore a different way of specifing cluster layout, a multiline approach?

-original message-
Subject: Re: Convetion for Role names
From: Tom White <tom.e.white@gmail.com>
Date: 07/01/2011 19:09

The shorter names (nn, zk, etc) predate Whirr to when the roles were a
part of the group name and had to be kept short to conform to various
length restrictions. We do things differently now that we have
multi-cloud support, so keeping them short is less important, and
indeed with a global namespace (since service name is optional) there
is even more reason to make them distinctive and unique. So I would
suggest the longer, hyphenated form that we adopted for HBase, like
hbase-regionserver; so the pattern is <service-name>-<daemon>.

There's not much harm in keeping the shorter forms around, but we
could introduce aliases like hadoop-namenode, zookeeper, etc and
deprecate the short ones.

Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,
Tom