weex-dev mailing list archives

From Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>
Subject Concerned about the LGPL dependency in Webkit
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2019 10:48:57 GMT
Hey all,

First of all: congratulations on your recent release!

I wanted to circle back to this to make sure it gets resolved before the
next release.

First a summary of what has happened as I see it.  If my summary is
incorrect, please let me know:
* At some point in the past Weex introduced a run-time and a compile-time
dependency to Webkit.  When adding the Webkit *.h to the repo, the correct
license of those files was accidentally overwritten.
* More recently, this mistake was discovered and a license review of Webkit
as a dependency was made in which it was realized that Webkit:
"As Webkit is under dual license, and it's almost impossible for us to
figure out whether there is an function call chain like
Weex.apiA->Webkit.BSD.apiB->Webkit.BSD.apiC->Webkit.LGPL.apiD. I'd like to
know our proposed change is enough to fix the Category X dependency."
(
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/babe010a7814d4cf3d3d92588bee9dd22277b610daf83733d2622c91@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
)
* The question of whether Webkit could release like this was raised to the
incubator and then to legal.
* Despite the lack of resolution to this question, Weex was still allowed
to make it's most recent release, because Weex is still in incubation.

While reviewing the release, it became clear to me that Weex is including
WebKit for it's JavaScriptCore.  Within WebKit, JavaScriptCore is
LGPL-licensed.  So it is likely that your functional call chains will
include LGPL-licensed code (after all that's the code you're including
WebKit for).

Is there an alternative implementation of JavaScriptCore that a user could
use in place of the LGPL-licensed portions of WebKit?

Best Regards,
Myrle