velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Struts2 & Velocity Tool
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:48:08 GMT
followup questions inline below...

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:54 AM, emri <cyrilmery@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't get generic-tools working in my Struts2 Config, objects are not
> instanciate and are render as String in templates. I don't find any
> information, samples to get this working, it seems so simple to read :), but
> impossible to make it work for me :(
>
> Can you point me my error, a link, an hint, an advice, anything :D ?
>
> Thanks !
>

> I use Struts 2, Velocity 1.5, Velocity Tools 1.4
>
> My configs files are:
>
> Toolbox.xml
> --------------
> <toolbox>
>        <tool>
>                <key>date</key>
>                <class>org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.DateTool</class>
>                <scope>request</scope>
>        </tool>
>        <tool>
>                <key>alternator</key>
>                <class>org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.AlternatorTool</class>
>                <scope>application</scope>
>        </tool>
>        <tool>
>                <key>list</key>
>                <class>org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.ListTool</class>
>                <scope>application</scope>
>        </tool>
> </toolbox>
> --------------
>

> Web.xml
> --------------
>        <servlet>
>                <servlet-name>velocity</servlet-name>
>
> <servlet-class>org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet</servlet-class>
>                <init-param>
>                        <param-name>org.apache.velocity.toolbox</param-name>
>                        <param-value>/WEB-INF/toolbox.xml</param-value>
>                </init-param>
>                <init-param>
>                <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
>                <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
>        </init-param>
>                <load-on-startup>10</load-on-startup>
>        </servlet>

are you sure that it is the VelocityLayoutServlet that is doing the
processing of your templates?   I believe Struts 2 has their own way
of supporting Velocity that doesn't use the VelocityViewServlet.

> velocity.properties
> --------------
>
> runtime.log = velocity.log
>
> runtime.log.error.stacktrace = false
> runtime.log.warn.stacktrace = false
> runtime.log.info.stacktrace = false
> runtime.log.invalid.reference = true
> runtime.log.logsystem.class = org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.Log4JLogSystem
> runtime.log.logsystem.log4j.pattern=%d - %m%n
>

> input.encoding=ISO-8859-1
> output.encoding=ISO-8859-1
>

> directive.foreach.counter.name = velocityCount
> directive.foreach.counter.initial.value = 1
>
> directive.include.output.errormsg.start = <!-- include error :
> directive.include.output.errormsg.end   =  see error log -->
>
> directive.parse.max.depth = 10
>

> resource.loader = file
>
> file.resource.loader.description = Velocity File Resource Loader
> file.resource.loader.class =
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
> file.resource.loader.path =
> /home/jboss/server/webServer/deploy/webServer.war/views/HTML
> file.resource.loader.cache = false
> file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 2

i'm fairly skeptical that this works.  you can't typically address
files within a war like this.   you could just use the default
"webapp" resource loader that the VelocityViewServlet provides.  i
think you just need to remove the file.resource.loader properties
above and add this one:

webapp.resource.loader.path = /view/HTML