velocity-user mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: The Guardian website moves to Velocity
Date Sat, 12 May 2007 16:12:24 GMT
OK.

After trying the docbook distro, it is simply to huge to achieve good
performance. It also writes alot to the logger which probably slows it
down a great deal.

So I wrote my own in about an hour. I believe it handles all elements
correctly (I think you have some CSS styling issues, though).

I do see your transform taking 4 secs. Mine also takes 4 secs. Is there
a way to get milliseconds in Ant? Even though Ant shows the times as
equal, I think it more than proves my point. Plus you can still use it
in the browser requiring no transformation time for *you* (I think this
in itself should be enough to win the $500...). As always it can be run
in many different environs and probably would be even faster if run on
libxsl or even MSXML.

Some caveats which might cause you to negate the effort:

* I did not create TOCs
* I did not handle all links correctly, I think (its been a while since
I looked at docbook)
* I did not hook up the navigation controls

HOWEVER, the XSL transformation is creating all of the pages PLUS a
single, all-inclusive one page version. So basically it is doing the
transform twice. I hope that makes up for the caveats above.

If that is acceptable I would think it is more appropriate to send the
$500 to the Libertarian party in my name. If it is not acceptable, maybe
I will work on it when the weather gets bad. Gonna go outside now...

I will send the XSL file to you separately, all 250 lines with proper
spacing, nesting and indentation. If anyone else would like it, let me
know.

best,
-Rob