velocity-user mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity vs JSP vs FreeMarker
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:35:57 GMT
Hi, All,

I have quite some experience with JSP and Velocity. To say it short, I
think Velocity is THE way to go. Reasons below:

1) Velocity syntax is very easy to recognize in any html template.
Other templating systems like FreeMarker, makes it really hard to see
what is the artificial html and what is the real one.

2) Speed-wise, who cares if JSP is some millisecond faster or not.
Given any reasonable machine, Velocity is good enough.

3) Velocity is WAY much simpler than the JSP mess. To be honest, I
don't like Sun's approach to make things unnecessarily complicated,
such as the JSP tag lib crap.

To a java developer who never does Web development, Velocity is a lot
easier to pick up, while you need to read a lot in order to master the
JSP intricacies (again due to the fact Sun introduced lot of features
in JSP which only make developers clueless, JSF, JSTL, etc.)

4) Velocity engine itself also provides a very small footprint I think
compared to the full-blown JSP engine with all the "fancy" features
that might get used once in a blue moon.

5) There are much more benefits using Velocity than JSP which I don't
need to list here.

Overall, Velocity is small, simple and efficient. That is what I like it best.

Jian