velocity-user mailing list archives

From Malcolm Edgar <malcolm.ed...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity vs JSP vs FreeMarker
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:13:13 GMT
Hi Ryan,

I evaluated FreeMarker for use in the Click web app framework, but
Velocity came out ahead its much easier to read and use.  One problem
with FreeMarker, and JSP is that they use a half baked XML syntax
which isn't HTML, but looks close enough to be confusing. Also XML
style syntax do not express conditional logic at all well.  The Struts
logic tag lib is a case in point, have to do an if else if logic you
will end up with

<logic:equals name="customer" property="category" value="gold">
</logic:equals>
<logic:equals name="customer" property="category" value="silver">
<logic:equals>

You get is problem in Tapestry as well, where you hide logic in span
elements. The HTML becomes hard to read as you dont know what is
presentation and what is logic.

>From what I have seen WebWork is a better implemantation of Struts,
but its still a relatively simple command pattern web framework.

<plug>Take a look at Click at http://click.sourceforge.net</plug>

regards Malcolm Edgar