velocity-user mailing list archives

From Mark Hawkes <hawk...@onetel.com>
Subject Re: Velocity vs JSP vs FreeMarker
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:08:21 GMT
Steve O'Hara wrote:

> As for performance, that's not an issue - the very minor performance benefit
> of JSP is insignificant compared to overall application losses caused by the
> servlet container, comms transport and browser rendering.  Lets face it, if
> performance was a major factor you wouldn't be using Java in the first
> place!

I don't know. Servlets are pretty fast - as good if not faster than
mod_perl, ASP.NET and PHP.

I guess the real speed freaks would write their web app in C, then compile
it to an Apache module and statically link it into Apache. That way, your
web app kind of _is_ your web server :)

Mark Hawkes
It Just Works Software
17 Colborne Street East, Suite 202