velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jim Seach <jwse...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: use velocity in tomcat (first time user)
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:53:32 GMT
Actually, the Velocity documentation says:

"Note that Velocity uses a singleton model for it's central core
Runtime class, so it is a very good idea to put the velocity-XX.jar
into the WEB-INF/lib directory in all web applications that use
Velocity to ensure that the web app classloader is managing your
Runtime instance, rather than putting it in the CLASSPATH or the top
level lib directory of the servlet runner."

"This deployment method will ensure that different web applications
will not be subject to Velocity configuration conflicts."

The best way to get an idea how to proceed would be to download the
Velocity Tools subproject, read about configuring the
VelocityViewServlet at http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/tools/view/,
and try out the sample application, simple.war.

If this is the first time you are developing a Webapp using servlets, I
would also suggest reading up on the basics.  The Tomcat documentation
goes through it step-by-step at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/index.html

For a more detailed explanation, see Jason Hunter's excellent book,
"Java Servlet Programming"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000405/jasonhunter