velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Velocity vs JSP vs FreeMarker
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:34:01 GMT
Thursday, April 7, 2005, 5:35:57 AM, jian chen wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> I have quite some experience with JSP and Velocity. To say it short, I
> think Velocity is THE way to go. Reasons below:
>
> 1) Velocity syntax is very easy to recognize in any html template.
> Other templating systems like FreeMarker, makes it really hard to see
> what is the artificial html and what is the real one.

FreeMarker syntax admittedly has its shady sides (and also its
advantages), but... maybe it is just me, but I find it really easy to
spot FreeMarker directives in the HTML soup, since they look like
<#foo ...> and <@foo ...>. No HTML/XML tag name can start with # or @,
so it is clearly visible what is a directive and what is static text.
So, in what way are Velocity directives more visible?

Otherwise I like it similarity to HTML when I write HTML or XML
templates... like for example:

  <@fancyH1 bookmark="mediaTypes">Supported media types></@fancyH1>

where fancyH1 and keyword are macros invoked above. But this last surely
just matter of taste.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany