velocity-user mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: XML and velocity
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:28:28 GMT

On Dec 2, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Subbiah wrote:

> Thank you all for your input, it clears some parts of the quetsion.
> As you might have quest I have just started using velocity.(a week)
>
> My generic question on VELOCITY is this.
> 1.  I see velocity very similar to adding sessions in servlets and
> accessing
> them  in the jsp pages. Is this correct ?

No :)

It's mostly used that way - as a rendered for the web - but it's used
in lots of other places as well.  (For example, the IDEA IDE uses
velocity for it's templates for comments and headers and such...  it's
a hoot to use, because you can use the context variables to have
different javadoc templates for different projects that you work on...)

> 2. I am using VELOCITY to generate templates for certain messages that
> will
> be filled at run time. The input is XML and output is any file. We use
> velocity because, the client can change the template anytime his fomat
> changes, but after using velocity [I might be wrong] I feel he still
> has to
> know the details of the object or java classes to use velocity , for
> example
> I use DOM parser, then the client has to know what methods are there
> to make
> a change in the template.This is like changing the source code of the
> generator one thing he need do is rebuild.
>
> Is this the advantage that velocity provides or are that more that my
> short
> sightedness prevenst me from seeing [I am sure there are]

The key then is to not depend on DOM.  digest the document into a class
that the customer can understand, or if the customer understands the
XML structure, use something that helps them with that.  A while ago, I
had a little bean that digested an XML document, and let you just use
in velocity as :

    $data.author.email

I'll see if I can find it.

geir