velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Anthony E. Carlos" <anth...@digitalphenom.com>
Subject Re: Tiles definitions without tiles-defs.xml
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:06:18 GMT
Shinobu,

Thanks so much for the response. I'll look into how Tiles works on the
jsp side and see if it can be duplicated in Velocity. I consider myself
an intermediate level guy, so I don't know if my patches would be worth
anything.

The problem I'm trying to overcome is that I have content creators (not
web programmers) who need to be able to create pages. I'd like them to
use Tiles because I'm (I'm the programmer) using Tiles and if I update
a Tile, it would be great for the whole site to be updated. The problem
is that I want to avoid having content creators touch tiles-defs.xml or
struts-config.xml, or have to reload/restart Tomcat.

In "Struts in Action," page 329, Husted writes that the body-wrap
deployment for Tiles is appropriate to avoid creating an extra tile.
His example uses insert and put tags to create the definition on the
fly. Since this doesn't currently work with Velocity, I'm using
Velocity's #parse() directive to simulate some of the tiles stuff. It's
a little bit messy, but I think it will work.

Oh yeah, I'm using eyebrowse now and it works fine.

Thanks so much,

-Anthony