velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Gupta, Arindam" <arindam_gu...@fanniemae.com>
Subject RE: Trouble Loading a Template from a WAR file - Velocity 1.4 - WLS 8.12
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:15:51 GMT
I have had success with the following solutions:

1. Deploy the template files outside the ear file (in my case the
deployment unit is an ear file) in the WEB-INF/classes or
2. jar up the templates and place the jar file in the WEB-INF/lib

Hope this helps.

-AG

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Utt [mailto:brian_utt@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:04 AM
To: velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Trouble Loading a Template from a WAR file - Velocity 1.4 - WLS
8.12

I am having trouble using the Velocity 1.4 package and
successfully use the package with a command line java application, but
when I ported it into a servlet, I get the infamous "Unable to find
resource..." message.

I have tried to load the template with a generic
servlet as well as extending the VelocityServlet and I
seem to be missing an important step.  My .vm Template
files are in my deployed WAR file in the
WEB-INF/classes "folder" and I am running on Weblogic
8.12.

Below is my servlet code:

_____________________________________

public class DataDownloadServlet
       extends VelocityServlet
{
  public Template handleRequest(
         HttpServletRequest request,
         HttpServletResponse response,
         Context context )
  throws IOException, ServletException
  {
    try
    {
      //get the pool number to extract the data for.
      String[] reqVals =
        request.getParameterValues("pn");

      String uri = request.getRequestURI();

      List beans =
        InternetDataManager.process(reqVals);

      Template template = null;
      String templateName = "";

      response.setContentType("application/vnd.xml");
      templateName = "PoolXML.vm";

      try
      {
          template = getTemplate(templateName);

          context.put("pools", beans);

          mergeTemplate(template, context, response);
      }
      catch( ResourceNotFoundException rnfe )
      {
        // couldn't find the template
        System.out.println("Template Not Found: " +
                            templateName +
                            ": " + rnfe.getMessage());
        throw new ServletException(rnfe);
      }
      catch( ParseErrorException pee )
      {
        // syntax error : problem parsing the template
        System.out.println("Prob Parsing template "+
                            templateName +
                            ": " +pee.getMessage());
        throw new ServletException(pee);
      }
      catch( Exception e )
      {
        System.out.println("Weird Problem: " +
                            e.getMessage());
        throw new ServletException(e);
      }
    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
      System.out.println("Caughted exception: " +
                          ex.getMessage());
      ex.printStackTrace(System.out);

      throw new ServletException(ex);
    }
    return null;
  }
}

I have read about a velocity.properties file, but I
have not used one on my command line app and I was
hoping not to have to use one on the j2ee app, but I
might very well be wrong about that.  Any assistance
will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

=====
definition, not smart enough to debug it. --Kernighan